Blake Dillion is an associate in the Labor and Employment and the Insurance Coverage Groups.
As part of the Labor and Employment Group, Blake represents employers in single-plaintiff and large class and representative actions. Blake has experience with all aspects of employment litigation, including wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, harassment, whistleblower status, family and medical leave, and wage-and-hour claims. Blake also regularly counsels employers on a wide array of labor and employment issues, including compliance with federal and state laws, and has experience drafting employment agreements, policies, and handbooks.
As part of the Insurance Coverage Group, Blake represents policyholders in insurance-related matters against their insurers and works with clients in the construction, real estate, manufacturing, financial services, and health services industries. Blake has experience litigating disputes on behalf of policyholders against their insurers, advising policyholders when tendering to insurers, and resolving third-party claims in a way that maximizes the use of insurance proceeds. He also represents clients in bad-faith lawsuits where the insurer refused to defend, failed to conduct a fair investigation, underpaid claims, wrongfully denied coverage, or engaged in other conduct that harms its policyholder’s interests. Blake also defends lawsuits against policyholders brought by insurers for reimbursement of benefits paid under an insurance policy.
Blake grew up in Southern California and obtained his undergraduate degree from USC. After dabbling in sales, marketing, and operations, Blake returned to higher education to obtain his J.D. and M.B.A. from Loyola Law School.
- Won summary judgment on age and disability-based discrimination and harassment claims.
- Settled wage-and-hour representative and class action for 10 percent of client’s exposure.
- Negotiated pre-litigation settlements of numerous single-claimant wage-and-hour and discrimination claims.
- Won summary judgment for a major sporting goods manufacturer in a lawsuit against its D&O insurer regarding coverage for a nationwide consumer class action.
- Managed all aspects of factual and expert discovery for $50 million coverage dispute in complex construction defect action that settled favorably for client.
- Analyzed and responded to multiple coverage denials regarding allegations of violations of Health & Safety Code asserted against numerous senior nursing facilities under healthcare liability policies.
- Negotiated coverage under healthcare liability and professional services policies for a medical contractor for state prison facilities in an action alleging violations of civil rights of pre-trial detainees.