Jeff Brown defends employers against class actions and individual cases brought under California and federal employment laws. Jeff brings a strong track record of litigation wins at every level, in every forum, to his engagements.
- Winning complete defense verdicts in four recent jury trials. The cases – three in Los Angeles Superior Court and one in the U.S.D.C. Central District of California – involved claims of age, disability, sex and race discrimination, along with harassment, defamation and other related causes of action. Two of the plaintiffs appealed, and Jeff successfully defended both verdicts in front of the Court of Appeal.
- Winning summary adjudication against a certified class in a statewide wage-and-hour case, then successfully moving to strike the accompanying Private Attorney General Act (“PAGA”) claims. These two steps reduced a putative class action that potentially encompassed hundreds of thousands of employees into a handful of individual claims.
- Winning a series of motions and a decision from The Court of Appeals to prevent his client, a California-based business, from being sued in New Jersey for allegedly “raiding” a competitor. Jeff led a team of lawyers on both coasts to develop a winning strategy based on the laws of unfair competition, forum selection and choice of law.
Jeff has repeatedly demonstrated an ability to understand his clients’ goals and then use the law to accomplish those purposes. As national employment counsel for a major educational company, he developed multistate management-training programs to reduce the incidence of employment claims, and built coast-to-coast litigation teams that have won cases in California, Washington, Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Minnesota, Illinois, Florida, Michigan and New Jersey.
Jeff has worked with clients to implement alternative fee structures and creative engagements that reduce overall legal expenditures without any compromise in the level of service. He has also counseled dozens of businesses – from Fortune 100 companies to up-and-coming Orange County entrepreneurs – in real-world employment practices that keep them out of litigation.
Examples of areas in which Jeff regularly provides preventative advice include:
- Wage-and-hour practices, including rest and meal break policies, timely payment of wages, and proper record keeping.
- Leave policies, including compliance with FMLA, CFRA, workers’ compensation, ADA and related state and federal laws regarding employee leave.
- Acquisition of employees and business units from competitors, and protection from raiding by competitors, involving trade secrets, confidential information, non-compete or non-solicit agreements, and potential unfair competition claims.
- Implementation of arbitration agreements and other employment documents to protect against litigation risks.
- Employee terminations, including risk assessments, separation agreements and negotiations.
In addition to class action and individual employment cases, Jeff has significant experience in traditional labor matters, and regularly handles union representation elections, unfair labor practice proceedings, labor arbitrations and collective bargaining.
He currently serves as the Managing Partner of the Firm’s Orange County office.