Scott Luskin is a litigator with more than 15 years of experience representing clients in complex business, class action, and insurance coverage matters.
He serves as the Managing Partner of Payne & Fears’ Los Angeles office and Chair of the Business Litigation Group.
Scott represents a wide range of public and private businesses including aerospace companies, non-profit hospitals, doctor groups, skilled nursing facilities, technology companies, temporary staffing agencies, pharmaceutical companies, and manufacturers. He has experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in all aspects of business litigation, including breach of contract, unfair competition, false advertising, trade secrets, employee mobility, vendor disputes, defense/indemnity claims, Lanham Act, and partnership disputes.
For more than a decade, Scott has handled major class actions, recovering more than $100 million in settlements representing plaintiffs. This has given him great insight into how to successfully defend class actions, and uniquely positions him to represent targets of consumer class claims.
Scott has litigated consumer class action matters regarding the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (“TCPA”), unfair competition, false advertising, Consumer Legal Remedies Act (“CLRA”), the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (“BIPA”), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FCRA”), website compliance, and California privacy laws including the California Invasion of Privacy Act (“CIPA”).
Outside of work, Scott enjoys family time with his wife and three young children, including bike rides, attending gymnastics and dance events, and walking by the beach.
- Obtained a $25 million settlement for more than 13,000 class members receiving more than one million faxes.
- Achieved an $11.75 million for more than 26,000 fax recipients.
- Obtained a beneficial settlement after filing crucial class certification opposition in an alleged TCPA robocall, pre-recorded voice, and unsolicited text message matter.
- Achieved a beneficial class-wide non-monetary settlement after securing class representative’s testimony that he was not deceived by alleged false statements on product packaging.
- Negotiated a de minimis pre-litigation settlement of a CLRA and false advertising claim for a franchisee of several restaurant locations.
- Brokered a nominal individual settlement defending a client in a class action for FCRA violations.
- Secured a victory in favor of SpaceX against an unlicensed contractor seeking to collect on supposed $1 million in unpaid invoices (resulting in a published California Court of Appeal opinion).
- Obtained beneficial trade secret settlement in favor of a client suing to prevent raiding of its sales team.
- Successfully prosecuted an eight-figure contractual bonus claim against Medicare Advantage plan on behalf of a large Los Angeles County hospital and its affiliated medical group.
- Satisfactory achieved resolution for Long Beach Memorial (Miller Children’s Hospital) in litigation challenging Blue Shield’s underpayments for neonatal intensive care. The litigation established that Blue Shield, using a questionable activity tool, had failed to pay for care delivered at high levels of acuity.
- Successfully defended Saddleback Memorial against claims by an imaging company that the hospital violated an alleged noncompetition agreement. After forcing the imaging provider into arbitration, the matter resolved to the hospital’s satisfaction (settlement terms confidential).
- Recovered substantial policy benefits from several insurers of the clients’ managing general agent.
- Prevailed at a week-long bench trial for our intervening plaintiff client by successfully defeating a $2.25 million equitable mortgage claim and obtaining a $1.7 million award.