Ray Boggess represents and advises employers in all aspects of employment law. He defends employers in cases at both the trial court and appellate level in matters involving wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, breach of contract, wage-and-hour laws, and other related claims.
Ray has been successful in obtaining multiple summary judgment wins for employers. He also has wide-ranging trial experience, from multiple jury and bench trials, to private arbitrations and administrative hearings. Ray also represents employers in traditional labor matters. He represents employers in labor arbitrations related to discipline, discharges, and collective bargaining agreement disputes.
Ray also focuses on defending employers in high-risk, complex, and class action employment litigation. Specifically, he has defended employers facing class and collective actions involving allegations of off-the-clock work, meal and rest break claims, overtime and termination pay issues, unfair competition, and claims for penalties under the California Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA). Ray’s successes include defeating class certification, securing the dismissal of class action claims on the pleadings, and obtaining a variety of victories at the trial court and appellate levels.
Ray is proficient in Portuguese.
- Defeated a large wage-and-hour class action consisting of more than 100,000 class members by obtaining summary adjudication against the meal-period claims and by successfully striking the claims under the Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA).
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for an employer following a two-week jury trial in Los Angeles Superior Court regarding a former employee’s wrongful termination claims.
- Won a five-day sexual harassment arbitration that was confirmed by the Orange County Superior Court, for an employer accused of engaging in severe sexual harassment over the course of several years.
- Secured a complete walkaway settlement from a litigious plaintiff in an age discrimination case brought against a large aerospace company.
- Represented a large national employer in an unfair labor practice (ULP) charge that resulted in the union withdrawing its charge.
- Secured many labor arbitration victories for a large national retailer.