Nathan Cazier has more than a decade of experience exclusively representing policyholders in their disputes with the insurance industry.
From family-owned businesses to Fortune 500 companies across all commercial sectors, Nate fights for policyholder rights.
Nate also helps his clients maximize their insurance coverage in creative ways. This includes navigating their policies, identifying their coverage, and vigorously negotiating the interpretation of those policies in favor of coverage. Nate is adept with various insurance policies, including: commercial general liability, employment practices liability insurance, cyber liability insurance, professional liability, directors & officers (D&O) liability insurance, excess and umbrella coverage, risk management pools, commercial property insurance, homeowners insurance, and health insurance.
Nate is fluent in Portuguese and conversant in Spanish.
Nate is an honor graduate of the U.S. Military Intelligence School and served as an Interrogator for the United States Army. Nate’s other passion is cycling, and when he is not in the office or with his family, he is on his bike: training, racing, or rolling with his friends. Nate is proud to represent the cycling industry, and some of his experience includes:
- Securing insurance coverage for a professional cycling team to defend and summarily defeat a personal injury lawsuit against one of the team’s racers.
- Defending cycling-based non-profit organizations against labor and employment lawsuits.
- Representing elite cyclists in their disputes with USA Cycling and the United States Olympic Committee.
- Providing transactional, governmental, and liability advice to race organizers.
- Representing local, national, and international cycling manufacturers in transactions with sponsored athletes, local jurisdictions, and other manufacturers and distributors.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a major sports equipment manufacturing company, securing millions in coverage from its directors and officers (D&O) policy for the defense and resolution of a class action alleging violations of California’s unfair competition laws and the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
- Recovered millions on behalf of a residential developer under an aggressive interpretation of Texas law regarding coverage for “rip and tear” damages incurred to access and repair defective construction.
- Negotiated a multi-million-dollar coverage dispute involving numerous claims against dozens of insurers for a Fortune 500 company. Without resorting to litigation, Nate brokered a settlement which recovered 100 percent of the client’s claims, plus interest and the client’s attorney’s fees.
- Successfully prosecuted a complex, multi-party insurance claim on behalf of a national developer. Payne & Fears secured a complete trial and appellate victory on all of the legal issues related to its client’s coverage, leading to an eight-figure recovery for its client.
- Secured complete defense funding and substantial settlement funding under a physician’s professional liability policies in a series of wrongful death lawsuits brought against a nationwide correctional healthcare provider.
- Obtained millions of dollars in insurance coverage for medical care providers after their insurance companies originally denied the policyholders’ coverage for multiple lawsuits alleging violations of California’s Consumer Legal Remedies Act, Business and Professions Code, and Health & Safety Code.
- Secured complete defense and settlement funding, including the funding of the insured’s cross-claims against the plaintiffs, under a directors and officers policy issued to a cybersecurity company sued in an intellectual property and non-solicitation dispute.
- Secured coverage under an employment practices liability policy issued to a software company that was sued for allegations of sexual harassment and quid pro quo retaliation.
- Pioneered successful methods of securing insurance coverage for employers involved in labor and employment litigation, including wage and hour disputes.