Scott O. Luskin is a litigator with more than 15 years of experience representing clients in complex business, class action, and insurance coverage matters. He serves as the Managing Partner of the firm’s Los Angeles office and Co-Chair of the Business Litigation Group.
Scott represents a wide range of public and private businesses including aerospace companies, non-profit hospitals, doctor groups, skilled nursing facilities, technology companies, temporary staffing agencies, pharmaceutical companies, and manufacturers. He has experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in all aspects of business litigation, including breach of contract, unfair competition, false advertising, trade secrets, employee mobility, vendor disputes, defense/indemnity claims, and partnership disputes.
For more than a decade Scott has handled major class actions—recovering more than $100 million in settlements representing plaintiffs. This has given him great insight into how to successfully defend class actions, and uniquely positions him to represent targets of consumer class claims.
Scott has handled consumer class action matters regarding the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), unfair competition, false advertising, Consumer Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). He is currently defending class actions for clients accused of falsely advertising product specifications, omitting information in online ads, and making supposedly illegal robocalls and sending unsolicited text messages.
Examples of Scott’s successes include:
- $25 million settlement obtained for more than 13,000 class members receiving more than one million faxes.
- $11.75 million settlement achieved for more than 26,000 fax recipients.
- Nominal individual settlement defending a client for FCRA violations.
- Victory in favor of SpaceX against an unlicensed contractor seeking to collect on supposed $1 million in unpaid invoices (resulting in a published California Court of Appeal opinion).
- Beneficial trade secret settlement in favor of a client suing to prevent raiding of its sales team.
- Satisfactory resolution for Long Beach Memorial (Miller Children’s Hospital) in litigation challenging Blue Shield’s underpayments for neonatal intensive care. The litigation established that Blue Shield, using a questionable activity tool, had failed to pay for care delivered at high levels of acuity.
- Successful defense of Saddleback Memorial against claims by an imaging company that the hospital violated an alleged noncompetition agreement. After forcing the imaging provider into arbitration, the matter resolved to the hospital’s satisfaction (settlement terms confidential).
- Beneficial recovery against several insurers of the clients’ managing general agent.
- Verdict for our intervening plaintiff client in a week-long bench trial successfully defeating a $2.25 million equitable mortgage claim and obtaining a $1.7 million award.
Outside of work, Scott enjoys family time with this wife and three small children, including t-ball, soccer, and walking by the beach.