Randy is an aggressive litigator with deep experience in complex commercial litigation, class actions, and insurance coverage disputes. In recent years, Randy has worked on a team prosecuting an eight-figure claim for underpaid services, pursued a complex third-party insurance coverage claim, and successfully litigated a trade secrets and unfair competition action. Randy’s practical approach furthers his clients’ business goals while relentlessly pursuing their legal rights.
Representative matters include:
- In 2021, successfully prosecuted eight-figure contractual bonus claim against Medicare Advantage plan on behalf of a large Los Angeles County hospital and its affiliated medical group.
- Obtained eight-figure recovery for hospital system against health plan based on improper disallowances of hospital charges to defeat stop-loss trigger.
- Worked with a team that secured a multi-million dollar settlement in a complex insurance coverage dispute.
- Obtained summary judgment on a seven-figure claim for business interruption brought against his client, an international shipping company.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on breach of contract claims on behalf of a major textile manufacturer.
- Successfully represented an employer in a trade secrets and unfair competition case brought against a former employee.
Before joining Payne & Fears, Randy was an associate in the Los Angeles office of a major international law firm, practicing in complex commercial litigation. Prior to that, Randy clerked at the Los Angeles Superior Court, primarily for Judge Luis A. Lavin (now Justice Lavin of California’s Second District Court of Appeals). Randy’s clerkship experience covered the full range of California civil law and procedure, with a particular emphasis on applications for preliminary injunctions and other emergency relief.