Jared De Jong is a partner and serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s Insurance Litigation Group. Jared represents policyholders in insurance disputes and helps clients solve challenging insurance and risk-management problems.
Jared counsels clients when purchasing or renewing insurance, tendering claims, and settling third-party lawsuits. Jared also litigates coverage disputes when claims cannot be resolved informally. Many of these litigated matters are insurance-recovery and bad-faith lawsuits where an insurer is not honoring its contractual promises. Jared also represents clients in non-recovery matters, like disputes over Cumis counsel, in which an independent attorney is paid for by the insurer, but loyal to the policyholder. He also defends lawsuits brought by insurers seeking reimbursement.
Jared helps clients navigate most commercial insurance products, including:
- Commercial General Liability (CGL)
- Cyber and Technology Errors & Omissions
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance (D&O)
- Excess Liability
- Professional Liability (E&O)
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI)
- Financial Services Products, such as Representations and Warranties Insurance
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Other less common coverage forms
Jared works with a wide variety of industries, including residential and commercial construction, education, health care, technology, manufacturing, and financial and professional services.
Jared is also an active contributor to the insurance bar and the local legal community. He was a member of the Executive Board of the Insurance Section of the Orange County Bar Association, serving as Chair for 2017 and 2018. And he regularly speaks on hot-button insurance issues to industry and legal groups.
RECENT REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a sporting goods manufacturer that sued to recover defense costs under a D&O policy, recovering full defense costs from insurer.
- Secured full defense funding for a commercial contractor one day before trial after prior counsel failed twice to convince the insurer to defend.
- Secured complete defense funding under a general liability policy for a biotech company sued by a competitor in a “bet-the-company” lawsuit. Without resorting to litigation, convinced the carrier that an intellectual-property exclusion did not preclude coverage for a business tort claim.
- Secured full settlement funding under a professional liability policy for a real estate company that was accused of violating various rent-control ordinances.
- Secured full settlement funding under an employment practices policy for an Orange County manufacturer that was sued by a former employee alleging misconduct.
- Secured full settlement funding under a commercial theft policy for an engineering company that was sued by a commercial lender regarding fraudulent contracts entered by a former employee.
- Successfully defended multiple commercial contractors against lawsuits filed by their liability insurers seeking reimbursement of defense and indemnity payments.