Jared De Jong is an attorney in the firm’s Insurance Coverage Group. Jared represents policyholders in insurance disputes and helps clients solve challenging insurance and risk-management problems.
Jared counsels clients when purchasing or renewing insurance, tendering claims, and settling third-party lawsuits. Jared also litigates coverage disputes when claims cannot be resolved informally. Many of these litigated matters are insurance-recovery and bad-faith lawsuits where an insurer is not honoring its contractual promises. Jared also represents clients in non-recovery matters, like disputes over Cumis counsel, an independent attorney paid for by the insurer but loyal to the policyholder, and regularly defends lawsuits brought by insurers for reimbursement of benefits paid under a policy.
Jared helps clients navigate most commercial insurance products, including:
- Commercial General Liability (CGL)
- Cyber and Technology Errors & Omissions
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance (D&O)
- Excess Liability
- Professional Liability (E&O)
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI)
- Financial Services Products, such as Representations and Warranties Insurance
- Commercial Property Insurance
- Other less common coverage forms
Jared also works with captive insurers, OCIPs, and non-insurance risk transfer mechanisms.
Jared is a member of Payne & Fears’ “Technology, Startups and Emerging Growth Companies” Practice Group. And he frequently speaks to attorneys and business leaders on hot-button insurance topics.
Jared currently serves as co-chair of the Insurance Section of the Orange County Bar Association.
- Secured complete defense funding under a general liability policy for a biotech company sued by a competitor in a “bet-the-company” lawsuit. Without resorting to litigation, convinced the carrier that an intellectual-property exclusion did not preclude coverage for a business tort claim.
- Secured full settlement funding under a professional liability policy for a real-estate company that was accused of violating various rent-control ordinances.
- Secured full settlement funding under an employment practices policy for an Orange County manufacturer that was sued by a former employee alleging misconduct.
- Secured full settlement funding under a commercial theft policy for an engineering company that was sued by a commercial lender regarding fraudulent contracts entered by a former employee.