David Grant (“Dave”) is a business litigator who works with clients of all shapes and sizes, from startups to Fortune 500 companies, across various commercial sectors. Dave prides himself on being highly and quickly responsive to his clients’ needs—regardless of the size of the client or matter. Dave is cordial and professional in his practice, but is resolutely aggressive in seeing that litigation is conducted properly and his clients’ needs are met.
Dave litigates and advises on federal and state cases involving breaches of contract, partnership disputes, statutory violations, defense of alleged California Proposition 65 violations, Lanham Act violations, trademark issues, and a variety of business torts, including disputes regarding employee mobility, trade secret misappropriation, and other complex litigation.
Dave’s successes include, among numerous other cases:
- defense of innovative compounding pharmacy against Big Pharma’s attempt to put it out of business via a Lanham Act claim;
- prosecution and defense in a “bet the company” case for an aerospace component manufacturer involving trade secret misappropriation among other claims and cross-claims;
- prosecution and defense in a multimillion dollar partnership dispute involving auto loan financing;
- prosecution and defense on behalf of a technology company executive wrongfully terminated and sued for trade secret misappropriation;
- defense of a massive national consumer class action against a fitness club provider;
- defense in a major Lanham Act false advertising claim and prosecution of counter-claims for national food producer and distributor;
- defense in a massive malicious prosecution litigation brought against a major Orange County law firm and others involving claims of RICO conspiracy; and
- litigation and numerous favorable settlements of claimed California Proposition 65 violations.
Before joining Payne & Fears, Dave worked for two years as a law clerk to the Honorable Manuel L. Real in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. Dave worked closely with Judge Real, both in chambers and in the court room, on a number of complex, heavily-litigated cases in which hundreds of millions of dollars were at stake. Dave also worked as a law clerk to the Honorable Kevin R. Cronin and William A. Baillargeon in the 48th Judicial Circuit Court, Allegan County, Michigan.
While in law school, Dave served as a Notes Editor on the Michigan State Law Review. He also served as an extern to the Honorable William E. Collette in the 30th Circuit Court, Ingham County, Michigan, and the Michigan Tax Tribunal. Dave graduated summa cum laude.
Dave has two beautiful young children, Eleanor and Henry. To the extent his career and family afford him free time, Dave plays soccer.