Payne & Fears LLP attorneys advise our health care clients in a wide variety of transactional matters and general litigation in state and federal courts. Our attorneys also have experience representing health care clients before administrative tribunals. We represent clients in all areas of the health care industry, including hospitals, medical groups, health insurance companies and health maintenance organizations, medical device and life science companies, rehabilitation centers, and extended and elder care facilities.
Our Health Care Team routinely counsels clients on the following legal issues:
- Wage-and-Hour, Discrimination and Harassment Claims
- Vendor Contracts
- Unfair Competition
- Breach of Contract Issues
- California Health & Safety Code 1371
- Reimbursement claims (either by law or contract)
- Union and Labor-Management Relations
We have a proven track record of successful outcomes in complex litigation, class action suits, and multi-district litigation:
- Obtained a $51 million recovery for over 600 California hospitals in the Farmers Group class insurance litigation in Sacramento federal court. The case presented complex issues involving insurance accounting, claim administration, and insurance regulation.
- Obtained a landmark ruling by the California Court of Appeal on behalf of Coast Plaza Doctors Hospital. (Coast Plaza Doctors Hosp. v. UHP Healthcare, 105 Cal. App. 4th 693 (2003).) The court held for the first time that a hospital could bring claims against a health plan for failing to pay for treatment of its insureds in violation of section 1371 of the Knox-Keene Act
- Obtained a $12 million recovery on behalf of over 108 California hospitals against Truck Insurance Exchange, after Truck had denied coverage for third-party claims against the hospitals.
- Successfully prosecuted complex contractual and fiduciary duty claims on behalf of a hospital system in Los Angeles Superior Court against a large national health care system and Pacificare of California. The case, which involved complex interrelationships and duties among capitated providers and contracted hospitals, produced a substantial recovery for the firm’s hospital clients.
Representative Health Care Clients:
- American Medical Response
- Crossover Health
- Envision Healthcare
- Golden State Orthopaedics
- Ortho LA