Employment Practices Counseling
Payne & Fears LLP labor and employment attorneys recognize that sometimes the best legal defense is preventing employment litigation. Our attorneys regularly counsel employers on the legal implications of personnel decisions, the latest court cases, statutory and regulatory requirements and legal trends to ensure that they remain in compliance with state and federal laws and avoid unnecessary litigation.
Payne & Fears LLP attorneys are also experienced in developing management training programs and employee education programs, creating effective employee manuals, implementing union avoidance strategies and providing immigration advice.
Payne & Fears LLP labor and employment attorneys have significant experience providing legal counseling on important personnel issues, including:
- Drafting employee handbooks, personnel policies, manuals and employment contracts
- Effective and lawful hiring processes, including interviews and background checks
- Overtime classification, wage payment practices and compliance with California and federal wage and hour laws
- Investigation and remedy of illegal harassment allegations
- Proper selection and processing of workforce reductions
- Structuring and implementing voluntary early retirement and downsizing programs
- Discipline, discharge and severance
- Protection of trade secrets as employees depart, and avoidance of litigation when hiring employees from competitors
- Legal obligations to grant leaves of absence and otherwise accommodate disabilities, balanced against the employer's ability to regulate attendance and performance
- Investigations of workplace violence and establishment of appropriate protective measures
- Employee privacy protections
Training and Education Programs
In all areas in which we specialize, we regularly provide training and educational programs for lawyers, senior management, human resources professionals, and other members of management and supervision. These programs are specifically structured to be responsive to the needs of particular clients. The subjects or practice areas in which we most frequently present such programs include avoidance of litigation - such as wrongful termination, sexual harassment, and employment discrimination – equal employment opportunity, union avoidance, and discharge/discipline.
We assist our clients in recruiting, employing and retaining international talent. We work closely with our clients to obtain work authorization and other immigration benefits for their valued employees. In addition, we counsel companies with regard to I-9 compliance, the anti-discrimination provisions of the immigration laws, and Social Security non-match concerns.